Friday, September 12, 2008

Destiny finds me.

"I will keep on."-Trent Reznor

This has been one of the most interesting days of my entire life and I mean that without any hesitation. Today, at school I learned something so amazing, it might blow anyone's mind! It surley did to me. My history teacher, Ms. Silva turned out to be the grandaughter of Lee Falk.

For those of you whom don't know who that is, he was the creator of "Mandrake, the magician" and "The Phantom" which are two of the most famous golden age comic book strips in comic book history. His work came before Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created Superman and any other superhero known to date. Without Falk, the face of the american comic book would be quite different, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have believed it myself but the way she went into detail and the stuff she told me about him and explained to me, was nothing that could've been made up.
It was unsetteling the way she explained his work method, the people he collaborated with, the scripts he would read to her before her bed time as a child and overall, everything he did as a comic book writer and as her grandfather.

I mean, seriously! What are the odds of meeting such "comic book royalty" in such a situation as school? Who would of thought that one of my teachers had such a ironic history with the medium that I love and cherrish?

I still can't get my mind off of it and it's been nearly a day since she brought the whole thing up and we had one of the most uncanny conversations about her relationship with her grandfather, a comic book industry legend.

The funniest thing was that throughout the conversation I was having with her, all I wanted to do was learn more about her grandfather (And trust me, she didn't fail at telling me almost every detail) and all she wanted to do was learn more about the comic book characters I created (I allowed her to see the scripts I was working on and to take a quick look at some of the character designs I have).

But that just goes to show, we trully do live in a small world!


Mandrake, the magician



 


The Phantom



 
To learn more about Lee Falk, take a look at this article: http://lambiek.net/artists/f/falk_l.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.