Thursday, December 10, 2009

Film Review: "The X-Files: I Want To Believe".

"We're not FBI anymore, Mulder, and I can't run into the darkness with you anymore." - Dana Scully


I'll keep this short. I've heard lots of complaints about the latest X-Files movie, from lots of people, including some of my own friends, but I don't understand what there is to complain about.

It's been a relatively short time since I finished watching the entire series, including both films in their respective places within the TV show, and I, as a fan and aspiring writer, found the latest movie to be just as fascinating as the show ever was, even at it's peak.

Okay, so the latest film had nothing to do with government conspiracies, aliens, or human/alien-hybrids, but even then, people tend to forget that more than two-thirds of the overall TV series had nothing to do with aliens or conspiracies, and that all of that stuff was just a subplot throughout the entire series.

The most important thing to take into account with the latest film, is that it followed up on Mulder and Scully six years after the events of the ninth, and final, season of the show.

I think that some people didn't care for the last movie because it was a slight change from the things that they were used to from the television show, since in the latest film, both of the main protagonists weren't in the field any longer, chasing down the paranormal, in an official capacity, like they used to.

But even with all of that said, the film wasn't completely out of touch with it's mythology, and I was even ecstatic to see Mulder and Scully's old boss, Walter Skinner, make a small-but-vital appearance near the end of the movie.

And besides, the next [and final] movie is set to deal with the alien stuff before 2012 when the alien invasion and subsequent colonization of earth (according to the show's mythology), is supposed to take place.

And for those who weren't patient enough to wait until after the credits of the latest film, there was a hint at what the next movie would hold in store for us in the future: Mulder and Scully in a boat going to a familiar tropical island (strikingly similar to the one in the sixth season's finale where Scully discovered a UFO).

I, personally, found the last movie to be awesome. My buddy Joseph and I, even went to see it over The Dark Knight while we were both originally planning on seeing that for a second time.

But then again, I'm just a hardcore X-Files fan (although it still doesn't hold a candle to it's successor: Supernatural)....

My Rating: 3/4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.