Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Montage Series: "Birds of Prey".

"Our jobs are supposed to be so easy: Find the bad guys, kick the crap out of 'em, feel good, and go home." - Helena Kyle


Last February, I did something pretty unique, even by my own standards; I created not just a montage, or a double-montage, but a TRIPLE-montage. And even to this day, months later, I haven't created anything else of the sort.

For a very long time, years, I'd missed the Birds of Prey TV series and when the DVD came out in the summer of 2008, I rejoiced by watching the entire box set straight-through for the better part of the day when I recieved it in the mail.

I wanted to approach this montage like none other before it, so in order to do that, I created the whole thing as if I were writing a play: In three acts. And, of course, any good writer knows how to write a play: Act I - Getting to know the characters, Act II - Introducing the cast of characters to their central conflict, Act III - Wrapping the story up and closing all story threads.

Even cooler than creating the montage itself, for me, it was re-reading it - at which point I noticed that I'd created a play, not by using words, but by using photos (pretty cool, right?).

Even further, for this particular montage, I asked myself a trio of questions:
1) What would Gotham City would look like twenty-five years after Batman packed up and called it quits?

2) Where would Bruce Wayne's allies be, life-wise, years after he disappeared?

And....

3) How could/would Helena Kyle, the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle (Catwoman), carry on her legendary parents' legacies?

So, as unique as the idea of doing a TRIPLE-montage already was, I entered into each chapter of the montage with a mission: To answer the questions I'd raised for myself.

By the end of the entire montage, when you see Helena sitting on the swing and looking up at the very same skies which her father once protected, I personally felt not only as if Gotham City had a worthy new protector, but as if I'd done a pretty good job with the montage as a whole.

Judge for yourself....


The Dark Princess of Gotham Upholds Her Father's Legacy: Wake Me Up When September Ends / Revolution / Pomp & Circumstances

 photo 0a000bo0p_zpsyd29znyh.jpg

What if Helena Kyle met Terry McGinnis? Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.