Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Outrageous Punk.

"Look in my eyes, what do you see? The cult of personality." - Corey Glover


Bono once said something really deep: That "you don't have to agree with a person on everything, just one thing, in order to get along with them" and truth be told, I agree with that statement to the millionth degree. And I can't think of a better example in my life which epitomizes that opinion of his than my unapologetic fandom of CM Punk. I really, really like the guy and respect his unusually massive accomplishments in his chosen field and for our shared generation - don't get me wrong for a millisecond - but I, personally, didn't appreciate his attack on Chris Brown. Especially three years after the incident, of which the details were and still are, rather opaque.

Here it is, Punk can call out Brown for allegedly physically assaulting a woman, yet the same guy is quiet about one of his idols Stone Cold Steve Austin who beat his wife Debra in 2002. Chris Brown was nineteen when his incident with Rihanna occurred. But, so was Justin Bieber when he spit in his neighbor's face and threatened to kill him. I didn't hear or read about any of Punk's rants then. But this further goes to prove my point that White America, young and old (not all but enough), has very selective outrage when it comes to one of their own doing things of the same or worse caliber than whatever ills any other ethnicity perpetrates.


Now, for what it's worth, before I get the trolls and angry feminists coming at me sideways, as usual: At no point did I say that I condoned physical abuse of any kind perpetrated by either a man or woman or that CM Punk didn't have a right to his opinion on the Chris Brown and Rihanna incident whatsoever. So, don't start with the bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.