Saturday, March 28, 2015

Home's Work, Homework?

"Don't give a shit about the temperature in Guatemala, don't really see what all the fuss is about. Ain't gonna worry about no future generations, I'm sure somebody's gonna figure it out." - Trent Reznor


I'm long departed, and happily so, from the schooling era of my life. And let me tell you, most of it was a bunch of bullshit. And I'll be perfectly straightforward: I don't believe in homework. The thirty-plus hours a week of school should be enough for students to learn and for teachers to thoroughly teach a subject.

There's no reason why a child should be forced to come home from the equivalent of a part-time job so early on in their development, only to come home to the challenge of overcoming two to three hours worth of further work and stress because their teachers were too lazy to do their jobs effectively in the time allotted to them throughout the school-week.

I remember the immense stress of teachers assigning so much work to bring home with me that I would often rather face the repercussions of not doing it than to go through with the alternative of doing hours worth of further meaningless bull after I got home only to be back in school after a very short night in between.

No matter which grade, many teachers liberally assigned loads of homework per night as if their subjects were the only ones we had and the effect of it was that many of their students became so disgruntled that they lost interest, gave up, or dropped out altogether; Sometimes, all of those things. And if you ask me? The students were well within their rights.

Kids have their entire lives to be worker bees, let them enjoy their childhoods while they can.

 photo Time_zpsjp8wnbsa.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.