Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A New Era.

"Can you try to help me hang on?"-Trent Reznor

I usually speak about the things that I've done in the day that I'm recovering from but for once, I have only a hightened anticipation for the historic events of tomorrow. As apathetic as I usually am, I still can't stop rooting for Obama to win tomorrow. I gave up on elections four years ago, when Kerry lost and I haven't looked back since but I have a very, very, very loud since of pride for Barack; there's so much in common between the two of us. But then, again, that's what a lot of people say, right?

The question is, are there going to be enough people who have much in common with the man tomorrow, in order to elect him to the precidency? I wish I knew! God, how I wish I could tell the future to see the events of tomorrow....

It's very rare that I look to someone and feel inspired but for the first time in a long time, I can say that about Barack Obama. He inspires me. Not just because he's a black man in a historically prejudice country as I am or because he was once as poor as I am, but because he's the true maveric in the entire political sea right now.

There's an electricity in the air, here, in the Bronx that's ready for what he's offering. It's remarkable.

This borough of the city, especially, has been looked down upon, neglected and feared for many reasons over the course of many years; most of them are stupid reasons like being afraid to walk through a neighborhood because of the color of your skin (which is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard about the Bronx) and for the first time in a long time, there's a chance for a real turn-around for places like these. A
chance for a change to sweep places like my hometown of the Bronx.

Some days, I would like to believe that the greater good is possible but once again, for many days of my life,
I've seen just how bad and twisted things can get for the country. The 2000 and 2004 elections are two good examples of the reason why I stopped with politics. Ever since I was a kid, I've seen the special interests swindle their ways into office and cheat to get the things that they so selfishly want, but maybe, just maybe, for once in my young life, I'll be able to see someone like myself make the decisions to guide my country's destiny into the light and out of the darkness that I was born into.

If Obama is elected as I hope he will be, I won't expect him to change my life or let alone, be a perfect Head of State. How could he possibly do that? I'm not even going to ask that he be a perfect person along the way because at the end of the day, he's just a man like I and millions of others are. But the one thing that I deservingly will ask for is that he be honest to the three hundred million people across the country and the rest of the world.

My father once taught me a valuable lesson among the many others that he taught me throughout my life and that is: "You don't have to be a great man, you just have to be a man."

The things that I will ask of my fellow Americans, is that they try not to be perfect people when they choose between Barack Obama and John McCain for the destiny of our nation tomorrow, and that they vote with their hearts and minds, alike, with no prejudice. That's all.

I'm not going to sit here and write a post which persuades the people reading it, to vote in favor of my candidate's direction but I will write to ask those of you who have the opportunity that I haven't been lucky enough to have yet, to vote with your hearts.

Just remember one thing, when you're at the voting booth tomorrow and you're making your voice heard, remember my voice as well as many others that can't voice our opinions for some reason or another, because of age restrictions (which is why I can't vote yet, unfortunatley) or because of citizenship or because of a mistake they've made in the past and are still paying for.

Just remember to vote with your hearts....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.