Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All Has Been Said And Done.

"There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight."- Amy Lee

I've officially accomplished what I once thought was impossible, as of yesterday: I graduated from High School. I don't keep bringing this personal accomplishment up out of conceit, but rather out of pride.

I seriously can't explain just how bad the odds were against me at one point! Throughout my time in High School I'd only aquired about ten credits out of sixty, my teachers didn't give a damn whether I passed or failed, my guidance counselors intentionally marked me absent even when I was actually present, and between the demands of taking care of my mother after her stroke, my father still nonchalantly being out of the picture, my cousin getting murdered, and then having to internally deal with the complication and sadness that the relationship of myself and Mia brought into my life, I had to overcome it all in order to get to this very day of relief. It's all over and the big plus to my credit is that I did it on time and in my own way!

As I've written so many times on this very blog, these past four years were trully the worst four years of my life but at the same time I learned more than I think I ever will in that same time period ever again. It trully was hell, or close to it, these past four years and I'm glad they're over and done with.

To be honest, I've come to see alot of things in a different light but at the same time, I've remained the same as I was at the start of high school. Still, there are parts of me that have remained exactly the same and I'm glad to say that.

In so many different ways, my graduation was a milestone in terms of my family and friends. Family-wise, I'm the very last to have graduated and in doing so, I've completed the circle so to speak. Friend-wise, I'm in a very small group of three out of seven people from our middle school days who've actually graduated from High School so far, but even yet, I'm the only one of all of them who broke off and finished in my own way, by taking as it's been referred to, "the road less traveled." Honestly, it was a very big risk that I took to get here and I have to say that I'm glad to have finally done it.

The one thing from my High School days that I've learned to accept has been everything to do with the girl I once loved, Mia. I can finally see how being so hurt by the way that that particular situation ended was a blessing in disguise. The way I see it, if she didn't do what she'd done, I would've never moved on with my life and I'd still be living my part of the lie that we'd both created for ourselves.

To tell the truth, I still value the time of our lives that we'd shared together but seeing as how it wasn't meant to be the way I originally hoped for it to be, I can come to terms with it. And I'm a happier human being for doing so.

It was also nice to see the symbolization of our entire "friendship" come to a crossroads yesterday at graduation. I was standing on the line to ender the auditorium when it hit me that Mia and I met in Lehman High School by chance, we made it our choice to become friends later on, and then again by chance, of course, she joined the second school that I'd left the first one for.

But while watching her joke around with her friends in a video that the school had shot for the graduation, I came to see that she was never meant for me and I was never ever really meant to be with her as it seems, no matter how much I'd ever wished to be with her.

But all in all, I'm glad that I can finally, after so many fights and heartbreaks and mandates, move on with my life. It's quite liberating to actually know that I'm free from school after thirteen years....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.