Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye To All That.

"Many strangers have I met, on the road to my regret. Many lost, who seek to find themselves in me; they ask me to reveal the very thoughts they would conceal. Love rescue me." - Bono


It's the last night of the decade, and oddly, I feel happy that it's all over with. I remember the night when the 21st century, as well as this past decade, all began and as a kid then, I remember being so very optimistic about a version of the future that never came to pass.

Seeing as how, I am the future version of my past self who I was always wondering about in those days, I can say that truthfully, some of my hopes and dreams have been fulfilled while others haven't, but I'm yet grateful to have lived these past ten years the way I have.

Some of the things that I've learned have been a great help to me, while some other lessons were even harder to learn than I originally anticipated for them to be. Overall, I feel that I've suceeded in lots of ways; even defied alot of people's expectations over the years by choosing to be my own person.

It's been a really dramatic, adventureous, and interesting decade, with lots of twists and turns that I would've never even expected. In some ways, I feel like everything has come full-circle in my life since the dawn of the decade. I was alone then, just as I am now, except for one thing: I've grown in so many more ways than I ever dreamed of back then.

In contrast to who I was at eight years old when the decade began, I'm a monster: Stronger, faster, smarter, and observant ten-fold in every way.

These past ten years have been the years who've made me into the person I am today. And if I had to name any key events of my life that've shaped me into who I am now, they'd have to be these top 10....

1. My Father's Departure; The "pandora's box" of my early life - the event that started it all. (Age 9)


2. Catching Mia With Her Ex; The sole heartbreak which taught me the lesson that I've since learned for my own good: To be closed-off, emotionally, from everyone and everything in order not to be hurt like that again. (Age 16)


3. M.S. 127; An era in my life which acted as the central catylist to my entire development and way of being from that point onwards. (10 - 13)


4. My First Rejection; The rejection from Marlene at the end of the eighth grade, which started my messy history with women. (Age 13) 


5. Premiere of Supernatural; If there was one thing that ever took hold of me and never let go, it would be Supernatural. I watched the show the very first night it premiered on the now-defunct WB network, and I've never been able to get it out of my head, or off of my television screen since. (Age 14)


6. Falling Out With an Old Friend; Kris' choice to abandon me at his house so he could be with his girlfriend, left our old friendship in shambles afterwards - a friendship that would never be rekindled to this day. That particular event also planted the seeds of distrust in my mind for everyone that I came across ever since. (Age 15)


7. Leaving Traditional High School; I left traditional High School (worst time of my life) after they fooled around with my grades and attendance to the point where there was no reason for me to stay - a position of mine's which was later justified when the senior staff of the school were all fired a year later for the very corruption that I was warning everyone about ahead of time. (Age 16)


8. Loss of a Cousin; My cousin Carmelo's death was so earth-shattering to me that I was never the same again. The shock of seeing him only a week before his death, and never being able to say goodbye to him, was one that I never got over. His death is apart of what shaped my will to keep people at a distance. (Age 15)


9. My Mom's Stroke; My mom's stroke took place around the time of my cousin's death. It made me take a second look at my life and re-prioritize certain things. This event made me grow up even faster in a life where I was already growing up faster from after my dad left. (Age 16)


10. Creating The Blog; As soon as I began to keep this blog, it proved to be helpful in many ways. Having a place to express myself was new to me when I started with this whole thing, and I'm glad that I've stuck with it ever since. I'm not sure that I knew what I was getting into when I posted my very first post all those years ago. (Age 15) 


It's definately been an interesting ten years.

I don't know what the future holds but I know this next decade is going to be one hell of a ride....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.