Wednesday, August 7, 2013

To Greater Glory.

As a child, I had a bad problem with vomiting - usually because of motion sickness. There was one day in particular though, in the middle of my year in the second grade in 1999 when I was seven, where I had the bad timing of vomiting all over my shirt that day after lunch and recess which caused my teacher to call my house to have one of my parents to bring me a change of clothes. Luckily, my dad got home from work early that day and he came to the rescue. The shirt? My flag-football jersey which number was twenty-two.

He signed me out of classes early that day after I got changed and we played around on that windy afternoon as we made our way back home, which was only a block away from the school. When we got home, I took the jersey off and tossed it on my bed where the large white double-digit of "22" stared back at me, which sparked the question in my mind of where I would be in my life when I was twenty-two years old. With the days that predate that particular numeral of my time spent on this planet quickly decreasing, I'll finally find out the answer to that question come this Friday: The day that I happened to be born on in 1991, ironically.

While I still have a few days to go until I'm able to live out the upcoming year of which has peaked my curiosity for over a decade since my childhood, I fortunately can provide the memory of that child - who's long since come and gone - some of the answers to his long-standing question: By twenty-two, you've met some very interesting people along the way; Some more honorable and trustworthy than others, you've never done drugs, you've never made a habit of drinking, you don't smoke, you've graduated from High School ahead of time, you've introduced the world to a new artform, you've won numerous writing contests, you've won a scholarship to film school, you've found your own jobs three times over in a single year, you haven't fathered any children as of yet, and you've had the fortune of witnessing some of the most culturally-significant events of the earliest parts of the second millennium of the Modern Human Era.

Where we go from here? Only our future self knows for sure. Wherever we do end up though: You owe me and I owe you. Just keep fighting the good fight.

 photo August7_zps2e75c2b5.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.