Sunday, August 9, 2015

Montage Series: "Game of Thrones".

"When you play the game of thrones: You win or you die. There is no middle-ground." - Queen Cersei Lannister


George R.R. Martin. Professional. Genius. Madman.

I became a fan of George R.R. Martin's masterpiece novel series "A Song of Ice & Fire" after it's first book was masterfully adapted by D.B. Weiss and David Benioff into the first season of "Game of Thrones" on HBO in the spring of 2011. I'd never heard anything pertaining to the source material when I first watched the show and I was instantly hooked by the time when the bloody, sex-filled, shameless, and unpredictable critically-acclaimed first season ended. And from there, I instantly bought and read the novels within six months and I guess you could say that the rest is history. The television series has become my all-time second-favorite, right behind Eric Kripke's "Supernatural".

I was drawn in by the moral neutrality of Martin's characters and their empatheticness. While there were certainly more heroic and more villainous characters on the spectrum, none of them were heroes or villains but rather just ordinary people in extreme circumstances doing what they felt was in their best interest for many different reasons in an often-unjust feudal society. There's always drama to be had with characters like that, and where there's drama there's a good story and the characters of "Game of Thrones" were ones whose stories I'd been waiting to tell on my blog through montages for many years before I got the chance to do it.

I originally came up with the playlist for the montage series in the autumn of 2012. I completed the process one morning on my way back home from buying breakfast at the McDonald's down the street from my grandparents' house and I knew that whenever I got around to doing the series, it would eventually be well-worth the effort when I was finally through with it. Unfortunately though, my financial situation changed for the worse by the end of 2012 and I was forced into getting a traditional job in early 2013 so I didn't have the time to create montages during that period, only to have the problem exacerbated when my old laptop died shortly thereafter, after five years of constant use.

 But as with anything else though, time moves on. And so it did with my hiatus away from creating montages: I began again with a Jonah Hex solo-montage in September of 2014, followed by the "Star Wars" montage series, and then the first "True Detective" montage series. There was only one planned project of mine that I had in mind big enough and prestigious enough to keep up the momentum behind such other impressive and iconic characters: "Game of Thrones". So, in March of 2015, I began working on the long-awaited montage series and beginning with Ned Stark, I began to immediately witness an increase in my blog viewership like never before. It was a humbling and exciting experience all the way through until the end of the series and I've been grateful for the newfound interest taken in my work because of it.

I worked tirelessly on this series every weekend for four months and two weeks through a fever, a slice to my thumb, my aunt's wedding, the death of a close co-worker, my second experience at a U2 concert (my all-time favorite band), and another glorious bit of news that I'll be revealing in due time.

This series was a blast to create and I'm eternally grateful for the success that you all made it. Thanks so much and enjoy!


Game of Thrones:

Eddard Stark: Bad

Catelyn Stark (née Tully): Walk On

Robb Stark: Winter 

Jon Snow: Square One


Sansa Stark: In a Little While


King Robert Baratheon: A Rush of Blood to the Head (V2)

Tywin Lannister: The Rains of Castamere

Jaime Lannister: Godlike

Queen Cersei Lannister: The Great Below (V2)

Joffrey Baratheon: I Am What I Am

Tyrion Lannister: Piggy

Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish: Sin

Stannis Baratheon: Even Deeper

Khal Drogo: Eraser

Daenarys Targaryen: Seven Devils


 photo Crew_zps05h8xdl2.jpg

Valar Morghulis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.