Sunday, August 9, 2015

Montage Series: "True Detective: The Yellow King Saga".

"Well, once there was only darkness. If you ask me, the light's winning." - Rustin Cohle


I discovered "True Detective" one morning in early January of 2014 while walking to a mandatory seminar at my job's headquarters in Manhattan on 34th street. I saw the brooding faces of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, moody and monochromic in black and white, as a city bus paused directly in front of my face at a corner where I stood patiently, along with the rest of the morning crowd, while we waited for the traffic lights to change and the cars to free our collective pathway to the next block. I didn't think much of it at first but I couldn't get the visual of the poster for the first season of "True Detective" out of my mind that entire day. And then that day turned into a week. And, finally, when I tuned in for the first episode of the show that next Sunday, I didn't find myself wanting: I could tell that Nic Pizzolatto had created something special and Cary Fukunaga was going to bring it all to life in an even more exciting way. It was the beginning of a masterpiece.

Rarely had I witnessed such a tight story - filled to the brim with twists and turns - be executed on the screen EXACTLY the way that the writer intended, and then yet made all the more richer by the performances of every single actor and camera operator who worked on the project the way that "True Detective" was. The phrase "lightning caught in a bottle" always comes to mind when I think of how utterly phenomenal the experience of watching the first story/season of the anthology is, even today: Always a new clue to unravel, always a new easter egg to discover in each viewing.

So, when it came time for me to follow-up on the success of my "Star Wars" montage series, I chose to do so with characters as deep and complex as the best of them, this time out of Nic Pizzolatto's world rather than George Lucas' galaxy. They were big shoes to fill but Marty Hart, Rustin Cohle, Maggie Hart and Errol Childress were all game. I tried my best to craft the montage series as well as I could and to stay true to the theme of Pizzolatto's work, as well as my own perception of these characters, so I hope that you'll enjoy watching the series as much as I did creating it. I'll let the work speak for itself from this point on.


True Detective: The Yellow King Saga

Marty Hart: Too Close

Rustin Cohle: The Sound of Silence

Maggie Hart: Take Me To Church

Errol William Childress: Hey Man, Nice Shot

Series Concluder: Far From Any Road / The Angry River


 photo true_detective_ver2_xlg_zpsjzyxji9j.jpg

Touch Darkness.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Montages, the artform thereof, and all subsequent works featured on this blog page are owned by DaiQuan M. Cain and are subject to copyright (#185729-V) under the U.S. Copyright Law of 1976 & the U.S. Library of Congress. Any thievery, unauthorized usage, or infringement of said work(s) and copyright(s) will result in a fine of up to $250,000 or more.